ROCHELLE STOVALL

ROCHELLE STOVALL

Wednesday 26 December 2012

Pats get 7 to Pro Bowl


(bostonherald)FOXBORO — The NFL has again shown its respect for the Patriots’ elite level of talent.
Seven Patriots were selected to play in the Pro Bowl on Jan. 27 in Honolulu.
Quarterback Tom Brady, tight end Rob Gronkowski, wide receiver Wes Welker, left guard Logan Mankins, defensive lineman Vince Wilfork, linebacker Jerod Mayo and special teamer Matthew Slater all received the nod.

“It is flattering to be selected, but I have always considered Pro Bowl recognition as a reflection of the team’s overall success,” Brady said. “I am happy for my many teammates who were selected again this year. I know that there are many others who are equally deserving of the opportunity. One day, I am sure, I will have a greater appreciation for individual accomplishments, but this week, my focus is simply on our preparations for Miami.”
Of course, the Patriots hope to avoid the Pro Bowl by advancing to the Super Bowl, but that’s another story for another day.
The Patriots have the third-most Pro Bowlers behind the 49ers (nine) and Texans (eight). The Pats have the fourth-most starters (Gronkowski, Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo) behind the 49ers (seven), Texans (five) and Bears (five).
The fans, players and coaches each receive one-third of the vote. Gronkowski, Mankins and Mayo led the fan vote at their positions, and Brady earned the second-most votes in the league behind Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.
“We have a lot of guys who earned the honor this year, so that is pretty cool,” Mankins said. “It’s always nice to have your peers, coaches and fans select you to the Pro Bowl. Getting voted in is always a reflection of our team success. While I do appreciate this recognition, we need to get ready and keep our focus on the game this week against Miami.”
Brady earned his eighth Pro Bowl nod. Welker, Mankins and Wilfork are going for the fifth time. Gronkowski, Mayo and Slater received their second selection.
“To be selected to my fifth Pro Bowl is amazing,” Wilfork said. “I am honored and humbled. More importantly, I am proud that the other guys on my team are getting the recognition they deserve.”

Read more article here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment