ROCHELLE STOVALL

ROCHELLE STOVALL

Friday 18 October 2013

Oscar buzz follows Fassbender, Ejiofor in '12 Years'

An undeniably powerful film. Two roles of a lifetime. This is the story of two men who heeded director Steve McQueen's call to lift the curtain on America's darkest chapter. It's a film critics say is destined for the Oscar stage. USA TODAY stacks up the odds.
Michael Fassbender
Age: 36
You know him from: Hunger, Shame, Prometheus, X-Men: First Class
Chasing 12 Years a Slave: "I'd known about it before I got the script," says the German-Irish actor. "For me, after that first experience with Hunger, which really kind of changed my life and just sort of changed the way I work to a large degree, I said to Steve, I was like, 'Look, I read the script, was in tears by the end of it,' and I said, 'Whatever it is, whether it's one day or two days in this, I'd love to be a part of it."
Oscar odds: Very high. "He is a great bet for a nomination," says Dave Karger, an industry Oscarologist and Fandango's chief correspondent. "The supporting-actor category allows for villainy more than best actor does. You see bad guys dominate a little more often in that category. What's interesting is he came as close as anyone possibly can to getting a best-actor nomination two years ago (for Shame) and he didn't get it. Sentiment is with him."
MORE: '12 Years' captures brutality, reality of slavery
Director's take: "There's nothing that he cannot do. Nothing," says McQueen. "And I think he doesn't even know half of it, which is fantastic."

SOURCE : http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/10/17/meet-the-men-of-12-years-a-slave/2995931/

0 comments:

Post a Comment